The typeface used for the title cards throughout the film is Freihand-Kursiv. This “freehand cursive” was cut at the Genzsch & Heyse foundry after drawings by Franz Paul Glass, a graphic artist from Munich, Germany, who lived from 1886 to 1964 and is best known for his poster designs. It was first cast around 1923 as an italic follow-up to Glass-Antiqua, a roman issued in three weights a decade earlier. The family also includes the hatched all-caps Glass-Antiqua schraffiert. While there are several digital interpretations of Glass-Antiqua, Freihand-Kursiv still awaits a revival.
Freihand-Kursiv is complemented by Bernhard-Kursiv, another typeface of German origin, designed by Lucian Bernhard and released by the Flinsch foundry in 1912. The italic member of Bernhard-Antiqua is used in all caps for the names of towns and villages.